Deals.woot Rules and FAQ's (Rev 1.0)
Rules of Deals.Woot
While the deals are sourced by the community, they are still moderated by the woot staff. There are some rules or standards that exist, and may not be known to everybody, and I will attempt to cover the majority of them below:
A deal may be removed if:
- The deal has been previously posted for the same item at the same retailer for the same price during the same event
-if a deal has been RIP'd already and the deal becomes valid again, this rule does not apply
-if the duplicate deal has become more popular than the original, and is more valuable to the community, the original deal may be removed instead
- The deal requires you to visit a facebook page
- The deal is not yet active (for example: today is May 4th, and the deal is not valid until May 6th)
- The deal is considerred spam (IE posting multiple deals from the same website)
- The context of the deal may be inapproprite or offensive
-Personal lubricant/adult content, guns, ammunition, tobacco/ecigarettes to name a few
- The merchant hosting the deal has been considered to be a risk to purchase from
-IE Phishing scam for free samples, or previous bad experiences
- The item is listed on Ebay
-Must have a buy it now button, no auctions allowed
-Must be from a reputable seller as determined by woot staff
- The deal becomes a sponsored deal
- The contents of the item you are buying is unknown (IE Mystery Bags/Boxes similar to woots BOC)
- The deal added includes a third party referral/affiliate link
- The deal is for free video content (Youtube etc)
- The deal is part of a contest or sweepstakes
- The site offering the deal has been blocked for whatever reason (Humble Bundle, Onecco etc)
A comment may be removed if:
- It is insulting or offensive/inappropriate
- It is considered to be a "flame/troll" post
- It provides no valuable feedback or experience with the company or deal posted
- It contains a link to buy a product (these should be added as separate deals)
A question may be removed if:
1. The same question has been asked recently
2. It is offensive in nature
What is Ask The Community?
Just as it sounds, it is a place where you can get answers from the community. Be careful here though. Make sure to search before you post to see if somebody else had the same question you did, as the answer might already be available. Also, please do not post questions where the answer is readily available via a quick google search (Like what is the Capital of Florida). Just like the deals, questions asked are also voted for, as well as their responses.
What is reputation, and how do I increase it?
Your deals.woot reputation is based off a scoring system used to determine how valuable your contributions are to the community when compared to other users. There are several different parts to your reputation, and the easiest way to figure out how to increase yours is to follow the suggestions listed on the Leaderboard, however here are some tips to get you started:
- Stay Active. Try to check in often
- Post quality deals. Adding a lot of deals nobody cares for is bad for your rep. Adding a few deals that the community finds useful is way more beneficial.
- Vote for good deals and questions. This part is tricky and can play off of what the community is into, but if you feel something is worth your upvote, go for it!
- Try to assist users via Ask The Community, we like to support each other.
- Help keep this place clean by tattling. If you see somebody breaking the rules, or if you see a deal that is no longer valid or has incorrect details, tell on them! Every deal,question, or comment can be tattled on.
My deal got deleted, now what?
Well, you probably broke one of the rules above, so take a look again and see if you may have missed one. If not, you can post in the community section to see if there is any other reason why it may have been removed. Make sure to provide details on what/where your deal was. Don’t worry, if your deal gets deleted for whatever reason, all of the votes and comments are gone with it, so it won’t affect your rep.
It should be noted that the rules are subject to change at any time without notice, and the above list is based on past experiences and observation.
How do I format text and links on deals.woot?
To format your text for use on deals.woot, you can do the following:
To add text in italic, encase it in one asterisk on each side *like this*
To add text in bold, encase it in two asterisks on each side **like this**
To add text in italic bold, encase it in three asterisks on each side ***like this***
To add a link, follow this format [This is a link to google](www.google.com)
What are meta tags?
Meta tags are added to each post to help people find things when searching. They should be generic and not item specific. For example, if you are posting a deal for a drill a good meta tag would be home-improvement or tools. There is no need to restate “drill”, because it is probably already in your title or description. Look at previous meta tags to get a feel for what you should be using. Moderators will often change your tags to help make your posts more easily searchable.
How do I tag somebody in a post?
If you want to tag somebody in a post, simply add an @ sign before their username. For example: Thanks @jumbowoot would tag jumbowoot in a post. If you tag somebody, and they have their notifications enabled, they will be alerted of the comment via an email. If a username contains spaces, tag these users with square brackets around the @ sign and username, for example: [@username with spaces]
How do I get a Jumbowoot coupon?
Nobody knows. Do all of the above, and cross your fingers.
Why can’t I vote on anything?
In order to be able to vote, you must have made at least one purchase on any of the woot sites. This is to prevent spammers from voting up their own deals, or for trololols to mess up the system.
I ordered something from deals.woot, how can I track/cancel it?
You didn’t actually order anything from deals.woot, because they don’t actually sell anything. They just provide links to deals from other online retailers. If you feel you made a purchase from woot, and want to check the history, you can look at all of the Stuff You’ve Bought here. Otherwise, check your email for purchase confirmations from the specific retailers you bought from, and contact them directly.
Why do my tags keep getting changed?
Staff may change the tags you have selected for your deal or question to make it easier for other users to search for. Tags should be for a broad group of items (like books instead of kindle, or tools instead of hammer)
I own a store, can I add my own deals?
If you own a reputable store, you can add deals for it as long as your username reflects the fact that you are an employee of that store. Also, do not spam the community with a ton of them (there’s no point, deals from the same site get grouped and hidden anyways).
What’s with all of the <insert product> deals on woot?
My guess is that they have a lot of them, and want to sell them.
I like you guys, where can we chat?
This is probably the most commonly asked question. In case you were wondering, you can find some of us idling in IRC Chat. The easiest way to join is via http://rizon.net/chat. Simply change the channel name to #deals.woot and select a username before connecting. You will find it busiest around 9PM CST on Wednesdays. To talk, just click in the blank box at the bottom and speak your mind.
- Please note if a deal’s price is after Mail In Rebate by tagging it with [MIR] in the title
- Free shipping is only free shipping if it is to your house with no charge. If you need amazon prime, or another subscription to get free shipping, or if it is only free shipping to the store, note it in your deal, but do not check the free shipping option.
- Shipping cost should be noted in the description if it is known if it is a flat rate cost for all locations.
Written by: Lichme